Back to school for college students means more than buying school supplies and new clothes.
Whether your son or daughter is just beginning their college career or returning to campus life, there's a lot to think about. Moving into a dorm or apartment, buying a new computer or furniture, taking a vehicle to school - all of these big events have insurance implications. Make sure your son or daughter is protected before they head off to school with this checklist.
- Is your son or daughter taking a vehicle with them to school? If so, check with your agent to make sure the vehicle is properly insured.
- Is your child signing an apartment lease? Is a Renter's policy needed?
- If you are purchasing furniture and electronics to furnish a dorm room or apartment, does your homeowner's policy provide enough contents coverage?
- Are they purchasing a new laptop? If they will regulary take it to class, consider scheduling the device to provide expanded coverage.
- College students can be victims of identity fraud. Many students open first-time credit lines without guidance from parents. Consider adding Identity Recovery coverage to you homeowner's policy for enhanced protection.
- In most instances, your homeowner's policy will extend personal liability coverage to your son or daughter while away at school. College is a big responsibility and with it comes additional exposures. Now is a good time to consider a Personal Umbrella policy to provide extra protection for you and your family.
For help with these questions and any other coverage needs for college students, contact your agent and they can help you customize your policies to provide your needs.
Source: Central Insurance